Challenges have been discontinued, but I hope you will enjoy browsing through this wonderful archive of Alice-inspired art!

Sunday, May 22, 2011

CHAPTER 4 Challenge - Week 4: TIME


Alice sighed wearily. `I think you might do something better with the time,' she said, `than waste it in asking riddles that have no answers.'
`If you knew Time as well as I do,' said the Hatter, `you wouldn't talk about wasting IT. It's HIM.'
`I don't know what you mean,' said Alice.
`Of course you don't!' the Hatter said, tossing his head contemptuously. `I dare say you never even spoke to Time!'
`Perhaps not,' Alice cautiously replied: `but I know I have to beat time when I learn music.'
`Ah! that accounts for it,' said the Hatter. `He won't stand beating.'
-- Chapter 7, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Time marches on so it's time for a new challege, and the challenge is to make something that represents TIME! Take your time, you have until May 27 at 8 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time (GMT -4:00) to show us YOUR timely creation!

Our sponsor this month is Fresh Brewed Designs, and they have some fabulous Alice in Wonderland digi images that some of the design team will be using. The randomly chosen winner of this month's challenge will receive five digi stamps of their choice from the Fresh Brewed Designs store!

While it is not required that you use Alice in Wonderland images, we do encourage it. Entries that feature some aspect of Wonderland will be entered twice for the prize drawing! 

Your Weekly Inspiration:



Please welcome Retta Fox of Foxy's Weblog to the team, and take a moment to enjoy her Tea Time in Wonderland collage!  What a wonderful debut, there are so many details that I could look at this for a long, long time! I love the mix of pastels and deep, saturated colors. You know how I LOVE text and letters, so all the different fonts and styles of letters are making me really, really happy! Ephemera is another love, so the colorful layered receipts are another element that makes me happy!



I love how Retta has included 6:00 o'clock (as it's always tea time at the Mad Hatter's table) with the cut up text, the big chipboard 6, and with the game spinner on the metal clock charm. Notice how she has done a transfer technique on the background of her piece with the Fresh Brewed Designs "Tick Tock" background image.  Love the ornate spoon on the "T" of Tea Time!



Retta has used the Fresh Brewed Designs "I'm Late" image as a focal point. I love the clockwork gears and sprockets nestled along its edge!  Please be sure to stop by Retta's blog to leave her a comment on her lovely collage and to welcome her to The Altered Alice!



Let's extend a warm welcome to Tracy/CuddlyBunny of Not a Moment to Spare as we admire her wonderful wall hanging! Tracy's piece features Fresh Brewed Designs "Wait for Me" image, and I really like the way she has trimmed it out closely. The clockwork gears and sprockets sprinkled on the swirls of the tree are a great touch! I also love the way she has put different time cliches all around the canvas!


Here is Tracy's colored image before she trimmed it out. Love the colors she chose!


The shimmer on top of the colorwashed canvas really highlights the texture of the piece! Be sure to visit Tracy/CuddlyBunny's blog to welcome her to the team and let her know how you like this wonderful creation!


Lynne Phelps of Savvy Sisters Studio (me!) made a little tabletop piece using  the wonderful "Hatter Madness" collage image. I love these Alice images so much, I had to create another couple projects! For the background on this card, I embossed some River Rock SU card stock with the Cuttlebug Clockworks folder, then sprayed it heavily with Perfect Pearls Mist.



Why is it so hard to photograph shimmer?  This view shows the clock that was a silver charm until I cut the loop off and colored it with Copics!  This image was so much fun to color. I'll have the details on my blog, Savvy Sisters Studio, so please stop by and let me know what you think!



I also make a card using "Wait for Me" and the "Tick Tock" background.  I made the background lighter and put two copies together before printing and coloring it, then used at as my background patterned paper.  More details on my blog, Savvy Sisters Studio, and I'd be thrilled if you would stop by and leave me a comment!

We also have some bonus Alice sightings on our design team blogs; very Alice but not dealing with our challenge theme of time. I just knew you would want to see them!


Sue Roddis of JABBERWOCKY created this wonderful Queen of Hearts spread in her art journal!



Retta Fox of Foxy's Weblog created a second project using the Fresh Brewed Designs "Queen of Hearts" image and it makes me laugh out loud to see it!  I love the pink, gray, green and blue colors which make a fantastic color palette, but it is the inside of the card that makes it really great:

The juxtaposition of "Thinking of You" after the "Bitch, bitch, bitch" on the front just makes me laugh! I would love to send a card like this to some of my close friends, LOL!  Stop by and leave Retta a comment about this hilarious card!

Hmmm, time is flying, but you still have until May 27 at 8 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time (GMT -4:00) to show us YOUR timely creation! The randomly drawn winner will get five digital images of their choice from Fresh Brewed Designs, but you can also play along for the glory of an Honorable Mention

To enter your creation, use the linky tool below - just click the red link below the thumbnail images. Please list a name when you link your entry, your name or the name of your blog. (Note - if you are viewing this in email or through a reader, you will need to click on the title of this post to view it on the blog.)



Please leave a comment for the Design Team and me before you go!  I think all our new designers are fitting in really well, don't you agree?

10 comments:

  1. I'm telling you! The creativity over here is absolutely ASTOUNDING! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOODNESS WOW!!! I AM completely BLOWN AWAY!!! These are all just so stunning and unique and gorgeous works of heART!!! I LOVE THEM ALL!!! Fantastic work and I am honored to have you all creating with my digital stamps!
    Many smiles and hugs!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how wonderful to see your inspiration. The collage is out of this world. I'm off to leave some loves on their blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your site and the artwork the design team has created. This is the first time I have entered one of your challenges - so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pheww, just made it!
    There are some incredible examples of work here to be inspired by.
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just in time... here I am. Later this day I'll take a walk around the other entries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore this site! AIW is my all time FAVORITE!!! My husband and I went as the new Alice and Mad Hatter for Halloween and our costumes turned out amazing! We were the hit of the party! Let me know if you want to see some pics. :0) I entered the "Thank You for Your Time" post. Thanks for the awesome challenge!

    XO ~ Amy Jo (follower)
    amyjrockstar at gmail dot com
    http://lv2scrapandfibrofacts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy to play with time this week! Love all the inspiration from the DT and congratulations to Tracy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My clock on my somputer says I have 6 more minutes. I'm gonna cry! Seriously HERE it is. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  10. my god
    I lost the post date it was up to 27 days,
    I've been traveling and events here and I ended up atrasanda ..
    I'm sad not to participate
    but I'll be careful for next time!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS so much for participating in the experience that is THE ALTERED ALICE!!! Your comments mean the world to me, so thanks in advance for taking the time!